Foreigners, whether they are investors, retirees, entrepreneurs or even employees wishing to settle and work in Mauritius, have three types of permits, to be selected according to several criteria. Everything you need to know about this topic!
Who should apply for a work permit in Mauritius?
The government of Mauritius has designed three types of permits for foreigners who wish to live and work in the country:
- Occupation Permit (OP);
- Residence Permit (RP);
- The permanent residence permit.
The Occupation Permit
The Occupation Permit allows employees, self-employed, and investors to work and live in Mauritius. Valid for 3 years, it is renewable under conditions.
Conditions to be respected for foreign employees
- Not to be retired, not to be a citizen of Mauritius and not to be 50 years old or more;
- Make an initial transfer of at least USD 1,500 or its equivalent in freely convertible foreign currency to your local bank account in Mauritius;
- Transfer at least USD 1,500 per month or transfer amounts in installments or otherwise, the total of which would be at least USD 54,000 or its equivalent in freely convertible currencies, during the 3-year validity of the residence permit;
- At the end of each year, submit to the Economic Development Board, proof of the transfer of funds to your local bank account.
Conditions to be met by foreign self-employed persons:
- Be a non-citizen engaged in business in the service sector only and register with the Registrar of Businesses under the Business Registration Act 2002.
- Carrying out an individual commercial activity, working exclusively for his own account;
- Make an initial transfer of USD 35,000 or its equivalent in freely convertible foreign currency to your local bank account in Mauritius;
- Have a business activity that generates a cumulative income of at least MUR 2,400,000 during the 3 years preceding the application for an occupation permit and with an income of at least MUR 600,000 per year.
Conditions to be met by foreign investors:
The residence permit
The residence permit is for retired foreigners and dependents of a foreigner with the Occupation Permit or the residence permit.
Permanent residence permit in Mauritius
The EDB explains that the permanent residence permit allows foreign nationals to work and live in Mauritius for a period of ten years. The following categories are eligible for a permanent residence permit
Licensee of Occupation
- Investor: the total turnover must exceed MUR 45 million for the 3-year period preceding the application.
- Professional: the monthly base salary is at least MUR 150,000 for 3 consecutive years immediately preceding the application.
- Self-employed: the applicant’s income is at least MUR 3 million per year for the 3 consecutive years immediately preceding the application.
Investor of foreign nationality
A foreign national who has invested a minimum of USD 500,000 in a qualifying activity is also eligible for the 10-year residence permit.
A retired non-citizen who has held a residence permit for three years and has transferred a total of at least USD 54,000 to his or her account in a local bank during the three years immediately preceding the application.